A few times recently, I’ve been writing a post, only to find that when I click on the Preview button within the WordPress dashboard, instead of previewing the post, I get a 404 page not found error. This is annoying as it means you have to publish the post just to view it, and you don’t want to do that. The problem seems to be caused by WordPress thinking you are not logged in, when you are.
I’m Using Google Chrome
I am using Google Chrome. I figured that the problem would go away if I used another browser, but I like Chrome so didn’t want to do that. However that is an option for you if you’re not wedded to Chrome as I am.
Here’s a short video showing you what I did. I hope it works for you.
I fixed my problem by doing the following :
- Logging out of my WordPress site or sites if you have more than one logged in
- Closing all my Google Chrome browser windows – even the minimised ones
- Open up a new Google Chrome browser window and make sure it only has only tab open
- Click the spanner at the top right of your Google Chrome browser window.
- Click on Options which opens up a new page
- Click on Under The Hood (on the left hand side of the window)
- Check everything except passwords and auto-fill form data
- Click on Clear Browsing Data and do it from the Beginning Of Time
- Close Google Chrome, and start it up again