We love WordPress and can set sites up for maximum security and performance. But how does your average WordPress site owner secure a site? And can they rely on the hosting company to help them set up and operate WordPress?
WordPress On A Standard Host
Most hosts provide installation scripts such as Fantastico to get a WordPress user started. And sometimes their support staff go beyond the call of duty and help people with WordPress issues but it is typically only if they are not too busy and they happen to be knowledgeable.
That said, hosting companies are becoming more familiar with WordPress specific attacks such as brute force logins and the ping spam attack. They sometimes have solutions but it is not their forte.
The primary job of the hosting company is to provide a
- secure and available online platform
- current operating system with security patches
- database services
- mail, ftp and web services
A hosting company doesn’t have the capacity to take additional responsibility for all the various web applications.
Our Secure WordPress Hosting Service
Our hosting clients get the following comprehensive service
- Secure WordPress Hosting on one of our servers
- A manual, hardened installation of WordPress
- Locked down WordPress core, theme and plugins
- All WordPress core, theme and plugin updates
- Recommended plugins for the client’s needs
- Plugin modifications as necessary
- New plugins added on client request but only after a security review
- Performance enhancements
- Hacker protection
With restricted access to plugins, all the client is able to do is add and update content.Which means they can concentrate on content while we take care of everything else.